Sunday, May 31, 2020

Creativity Gives Comfort

With news of violence and sickness hanging over us its no wonder we feel lost, anxious and fearful.   Being creative can be a real way to settle the nerves.   When teaching, I often get students who say "I'm not creative; I can't do anything!"  Being creative not only comes in the form of a paint brush,  sewing needle or crochet hook.   There are good cooks, interior designers, hair stylists, landscapers, and architects to name a few.  You may be good at letter writing, taking care of your friendships, or arranging flowers.  Talents are gifts to all of us that expand our world.  Teaching also is a way to spread talents (I especially like teaching art to small humans).   What is your talent?

                                                                     ____________

This week I spent time finishing a project that I had been frustrated with, a geometric bracelet with small beads.  There was no space for mistakes, and I had many.  I think I rethreaded my needle about as many times as there were beads.
I know I'll enjoy wearing it and be humbled by the fact it took some real concentration to get it done.
_____________

One of my favorite artists is Frida Kahlo.   Such an artist with a sense of passion, self portrayal and use of color.  Frida had an accident at a young age and suffered immense pain for the rest of her life. Painting was her medicine, and it followed her life span.  It gave her comfort.  She said, " My painting carries with it the message of pain."  She wasn't as famous when she lived, but her story and art have carried her memory through to museums, books, galleries and collectors.  


"The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida
I beaded this cabochon that was gifted to me with small seed beads and glass flowers.  It hangs in my studio as a reminder that art can come from anywhere, even from a raw place of pain and despair.
 Frida's self portrait 1940.    Roots around her neck symbolizing the growing pain she experienced and the smothering feeling of being consumed by it. 


I wish comfort for all of you this week as we pass through turbulent times.  Reflect on your talents and hopefully you may find peace and comfort there.


No comments:

Post a Comment